Sunday, April 5, 2009

You are cool in Los Angeles

On the way to Los Angeles:

Lake Havasu
Photobucket


Terrible.
Photobucket


Sunset near the Arizona/California border
Photobucket


In the morning Adam ran through a list of things we could do. But quickly we got on the same wavelength when I admitted I was perfectly happy to do nothing and eat burgers.

In-N-Out specifically. The best fast food restaurant in the nation, the universe. The menu is simple, but if you know how, you can order from the secret menu. For instance. Ordering something "animal style" makes it extra delicious. They put it on the receipt, too, and if I find the means I will get that receipt up here. Adam and I went to In-N-Out twice in one day. Thankfully the crew had changed. Here is food from In-N-Out:

Photobucket


We did do touristy-resembling things. We went to the Santa Monica pier. Adam drives his car quickly and with confidence. And he was especially forgiving of my gasps and shrieks. Then:

the beach. Adam was talking on his phone and I wanted a picture of that. For some reason I didn't. I got distracted.
Photobucket


me standing in the Pacific ocean. Posture rather like a shocked penguin.
Photobucket


pinkberry frozen yogurt
Photobucket


people watching
Photobucket



leaning on the railing over the pier and talking
Photobucket


a tour through town, including backalleys
Photobucket


this sign. When we passed this, Adam calmly pointed at it, then said something pithy, like, "welcome to California."
Photobucket


Okay here's what I thought about Los Angeles: It was sort of like if everyone at my middle school moved together and founded a town. That's the sort of feeling. I don't know if that makes any sense. Everyone thought that they were being watched; and they were all watching. I remember being in middle school and thinking as I took my tray up to the trash can that everyone was watching my every move. Then I went home and my mom called me out on it; she said, "Honey, no one cares."

Well, Los Angeles cares. The sunglasses, the black leggings, the drink in your hand. Everyone was sitting and waiting for the director to yell, Action.

No comments:

Post a Comment